Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The power of a name...

A few months ago, Jake and I had a conversation that really has helped us,and our family on this journey through our grief process.  We decided we needed to name our angel baby, something we should have done at the hospital...why didn't we name him?   Didn't he deserve a name?  What were we thinking?  Well I can answer that...we weren't.  We didn't know any better.  We were so overwhelmed with emotion we didn't know what to do.  At the time, no one told us we should name him, I mean he didn't get a birth certificate, he didn't get a death certificate, there is no record of his birth, death, life, existence, nothing...NOTHING.  It is as though he never existed.  One of our very good friends a few months later did suggest that we give him a name, and for that I am thankful, she was the very first one to suggest it.  I mean how do you even know what to do in a situation like that, unless you have been in it before, or know personally of someone who has?  When we arrived at the hospital that day, we didn't even know the sex of the baby yet, we hadn't even thought of baby names yet.  So ten months after our sweet angel baby went to heaven, Jake and I decided that our son needed a name...so we sat on our bed, I played with Abby and Jake looked up names, something he had already been thinking of...as I watched him, waiting, trying not to notice the oddness of the situation, the sadness on his face, I realized that in this moment, that there was even the slightest bit of peace.  Something that should have been done in the beginning,  but now that it was being done, was making all the difference in the world. Zachary, which means the Lord remembers, and Noah which means rest, or comfort...perfect...so that was it, we decided on Noah Zachary Boyd. 



2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and sweet Noah Zachary! I know how hard this has been for you and your family and I am so proud of you for doing this and giving your sweet baby the gift of a name! It is an awesome name and I hope so much it helps in your healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. ;). He was very special even though we never got to meet him alive in this world. What a lucky boy he is to have so much love from his family here on earth. We will always remember him. ❤Melissa

    ReplyDelete